I’ve actually not posted this in a while.
I have written approximately 100,000 words for the novel. About 30,000 of them were discarded over time – saved, actually, into a clippings folder.
I’ve been struggling with the last half of the book – the second act, mostly. I take this kid from youth and innocence into a moment of crisis – and then for the second act nothing much happens but talk. I could not figure out how to fix the problem with what I had.
I tweaked with it and fussed with it, but after a discussion with my writing group Monday night a week ago, I decided to prune it.
So I clipped most of the second and third act, moving the content to the clipping folder, and re-outlined the work. I’m much happier now – the action not only continues, but it rises and gets more intense, as more and more is thrown at the hero-protagonist.
I changed the name of the novel a while back to “Stars in the Texas Sky,” but I still have the same general outline.
I’m excited again over the novel because I feel like it’s come alive in the second half.